The shop faces Ginza Chuo Dori, the main shopping street of Ginza, with a confection shop on the first floor and Toraya Karyo (tea room) on the second floor. Prior to operating in the present form, this place used to be a tea room named “Akane” which opened in 1946 soon after the end of WWII. Since it was difficult to continue manufacturing wagashi due to shortage of ingredients, Akane served Western style items like coffee and ice cream alongside shiruko (sweet azuki bean soup) and zouni (rice cake soup). The next year, when it became possible to start manufacturing authentic wagashi again, the site was renewed as Toraya Ginza Shop. The first Toraya Karyo was opened here in Ginza in 1973.